• Point guard Kemba Walker didn’t want to say a lot about the contract extension he’ll sign Thursday, but he did say how much he appreciated owner Michael Jordan’s desire to get a deal done.
“It says a lot. Definitely comforting to know these guys want me around,” Walker said. “This is where I want to be. I’m excited. Everyone is excited.”
Never miss a local story.
• Interesting that Jason Maxiell was the first substitute in behind starting center Al Jefferson, rather than former lottery pick Bismack Biyombo.
• Lance Stephenson (groin strain) was cleared to play at shootaround and looked to be moving well in the game. Coach Steve Clifford had some concerns Tuesday about risk of re-injury.
• With Stephenson starting, Gerald Henderson became sixth man.
• Among the notables at the season-opener: Original majority owner Bob Johnson and Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson.
• Walker drew a technical foul in the first half, arguing a call.