Observations from Thursday’s Carolina Panthers training camp practice at Wofford College:
• After a pedestrian OTAs and minicamp, receiver Tavarres King has put three solid days together. King caught another touchdown pass Thursday and he’s making an impression on his coaches.
Never miss a local story.
• Tight end Brandon Williams looks less robotic in his routes and after the catch. He stayed after practice to work on his blocking.
• If you see Mike Tolbert catching kickoffs, he’s not supposed to. Tolbert has been lining up as the primary returner when he should be the up-man to help block, and Rivera said only in emergencies will Tolbert return kicks.
• Tiquan Underwood, Kealoha Pilares and Philly Brown all returned kicks Thursday and didn’t drop one.
• Underwood struggled Thursday and had at least two drops lining up at receiver. The team likes his speed but he has to be able to catch the ball.
• Cornerback Carrington Byndom got his third interception in as many practices when he picked off a Matt Blanchard pass intended for Brenton Bersin.
• Bersin has worked his way into some plays with the first-team offense. The Wofford alum won’t be a first-team receiver, but it says a great deal about where the former practice squad player has come.
• St. Augustine’s alum Alex Hall, who last year played in the Canadian Football League, had a powerful rush against Nate Chandler in drills and took the tackle to ground.
• Cornerback Charles Godfrey made a great break on a Cam Newton pass intended for Marvin McNutt and almost intercepted the ball. Godfrey did push ups for not catching the slick ball.
• Cornerback James Dockery picked off a Derek Anderson pass to Marcus Lucas in team drills.
• Nickel corner Bene’ Benwikere had the day’s only pick-six when he intercepted Anderson in team drills.