Carolina Panthers: Observations from Tuesday’s practice
08/12/2014 6:18 PM
08/12/2014 6:19 PM
Observations from the final day of Carolina Panthers training camp at Wofford College:• Coach Ron Rivera once against played quarterback during pass protection drills. Thomas Davis ran into Rivera, who promised to get Davis back if he has a bruise Wednesday.
• Richie Brockel continued his solid play in that drill. Tight end Brandon Williams did as well. Kenjon Barner and Bene’ Benwikere struggled against bigger, more physical players.
• Kawann Short busted through tackle David Foucault in line drills. He has continued to get into the backfield consistenly, just like he did last season.
• Wide receiver Philly Brown made a great one-handed catch in the back of the end zone on a pass from Derek Anderson while going against Charles Godfrey.
• Greg Hardy dropped into coverage several times Tuesday during team drills. He had two pass breakups, including a near interception.
• Veteran defensive tackle Dwan Edwards had his way with rookie Trai Turner in line drills.
• Wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin grabbed a touchdown in red zone drills over safety Colin Jones and linebacker A.J. Klein on a pass from Cam Newton.
• Klein made a nice pass breakup in 7-on-7 drills by stepping in front of a Derek Anderson pass intended for Marvin McNutt.
• Newton posed for several pictures with nine members of the Wofford volleyball team after practice. They posed for “swag” pictures as well as the volleyball players doing Newton’s Superman pose.
Join the Discussion
Charlotte Observer is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.