Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera met with the media as his team reported to training camp at Wofford College on Tuesday. Among the highlights:
▪ Rivera said quarterback Cam Newton, who had surgery for a partially torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder in March, would be limited to begin camp but that he was happy with Newton’s progress.
▪ Rivera says Newton came in at 246 pounds. Newton has previously played weighing as much as 260.
▪ He wouldn’t divulge Kelvin Benjamin’s weight but said Benjamin came in where he needed to.
▪ The team was in a conditioning class as Rivera spoke, and he said there was 100 percent attendance.
▪ Rivera confirmed that Daryl Williams is the leader at right tackle heading into camp.
▪ He said he was happy with the Trai Turner deal. “Your right guard has to be somebody special,” he said.
▪ Rivera is excited to see what rookie fullback and sixth round draft pick Alex Armah can do with pads on, citing his experience in college as a two-way player and remarking that he thinks Armah can contribute well on special teams.