The 24 things we saw, heard and learned from Carolina Panthers training camp practice at Wofford College on Wednesday:
▪ Panthers quarterback Cam Newton was in full pads but still mostly resting his shoulder. There is a noticeable dip in energy on the field when Newton doesn’t practice.
▪ The Panthers have cut WR Cameron Posey. Sign CB Devonta Johnson, who was with Falcons’ practice squad last year. Johnson had a big pass breakup on Fred Ross in his first practice.
▪ RB Jonathan Stewart and DB Mike Adams took vet days.
Never miss a local story.
▪ DT Kawann Short and OT Matt Kalil (groin) both out again today. Coach Ron Rivera said after practice that Short has hamstring and lower back tightness, and sat out as a precaution.
▪ The majority of the team drills took place on the near field, which was much better for the fans in attendance.
▪ Former Panthers defensive back and Spartanburg resident D.J. Moore was attending practice.
▪ So was an officiating crew, which worked the team drills.
▪ Rookie RB Christian McCaffrey had another drop. Everyone freak out.
▪ Trevor Graham, Damiere Byrd and McCaffrey practiced on punt returns. McCaffrey likes to time up his punt returns to where he is catching them on nearly the dead run.
▪ Punter Michael Palardy has been somewhat inconsistent but nailed a couple of nice ones – one of which Graham dropped. Graham, who likes to consider himself fastest guy on Panthers, watched it rolls out of bounds as the crowd groaned.
▪ More opportunity for DB Cole Luke, with Captain Munnerlyn (hamstring) still limited and Zack Sanchez not participating.
▪ Newton was limited, but he did make two short throws to McCaffrey. Side note: Rivera says McCaffrey spent a week in Atlanta with Newton before camp.
▪ Amini Silatolu was at first-team again as Matt Kalil (groin) worked on the side.
▪ S Travell Dixon is wearing a protective boot.
▪ Backup QB Derek Anderson threaded the needle through about three defenders for a touchdown pass to TE Greg Olsen.
▪ Linebacker Zeek Bigger made his biggest play of camp, picking off QB Garrett Gilbert and sprinting it back.
▪ CB James Bradberry finally has the cast off his wrist, maybe for good.
▪ Swear jar for CB Daryl Worley after TE Ed Dickson slipped him easily.
▪ A big, stretching leap by Bradberry resulted in a pass knocked away from WR Kelvin Benjamin. Both Worley and Bradberry have hassled him all camp. Bradberry had breakups on passes intended for Benjamin at least twice on Wednesday.
▪ Two misses to the right – and four makes – for Graham Gano.
▪ Charlotte’s own LJ McCray laid a big-time hit on McCaffrey to keep him out of end zone on a screen.
▪ We will see a fair amount of Panthers fourth-string QB Garrett Gilbert in the preseason and he’s actually not bad. An accurate thrower.
▪ Rookie linebacker Ben Boulware dropped an interception over the middle in team drills, but then made a big play on fellow rookie fullback Alex Armah. Boulware popped the ball loose as Armah saw some rare play action as a ball-carrier. The former Clemson star celebrated accordingly.
▪ Ross was carted off after practice, possibly because of the heat.