Highlights from Wednesday’s joint practice between the Carolina Panthers and Tennessee Titans, who meet in an NFL exhibition game on Saturday.
▪ The start of practice was delayed until 11:15 Charlotte time. The weather was ... a lot like Spartanburg.
▪ After stretching with trainers in the shadow of the Titans’ practice bubble, Cam Newton was throwing with wide receivers during individual work. Newton threw a few mid-range routes during one-on-ones.
▪ Veteran defensive end Julius Peppers was fully dressed for practice.
▪ Newton was vocal saying he needed some “juice” during the drills. “It’s quiet out here.”
▪ Newton had a bit of an overthrow to in one-on-ones to Shepard, who stretched for the fingertip snag. Shepard had a number of catches on the day.
▪ There was no word about where Panthers wide receiver Keyarris Garrett was during practice, but he wasn’t on the field.
▪ Panthers wide receivers were three for three in the early going one-on-one vs. Titans. And then a pass interference on the fourth one.
▪ Panthers rookie second-round pick Curtis Samuel went through drills with rest of the receivers but didn’t participate in one-on-ones.
▪ During the first team period, it was Titans offensive ones vs. Panthers defensive ones. As soon as the clanging started, the play between Panthers corners and Tennessee receivers got physical.
▪ The absence of Panthers safety Kurt Coleman, back in Charlotte dealing with a personal matter, meant Colin Jones in with Mike Adams and the first team defense.
▪ On the offensive side, Derek Anderson and Joe Webb did all the throwing in team drills.
▪ Panthers rookie Christian McCaffrey got to the corner for a nice run. Later, McCaffrey ran a little mini wheel route for big yardage on a nice throw by Anderson.
▪ Newton to Panthers sideline at one point: “Can’t just be going through the motions. Let’s go.”
▪ Tight end Greg Olsen get some rude treatment, and maybe a hold, from safety Johnathan Cyprien, but still caught an out-route.
▪ What Titans receiver Taywan Taylor did to Cole Luke to shake him on one play is illegal in four states.
▪ During full team drills, Luke Kuechly jumped up for a nice tip and pass breakup against Titans’ Delanie Walker.
▪ Titans receiver Eric Decker vs. Panthers cornerback James Bradberry didn’t get a chance because Decker tripped.
▪ Panthers offensive guard Andrew Norwell and a Titans defensive lineman almost got into a little flareup. Panthers DL understands.
▪ Peppers against second-year Titans tackle Jack Conklin? Conklin on heelys.
▪ With Panthers defensive line working pass rush drills, Panthers DE Mario Addison pulled his signature spin on Titans tackle Taylor Lewan. It didn’t go well for Lewan.
▪ Panthers OT Matt Kalil had a couple of nice repetitions against Titans players in one-on-one pass rush.
▪ Panthers receiver Austin Duke laid out for a catch on a Webb pass. Very nicely done.
▪ Later, Shepard was praising Austin Duke for a nice block on a Cameron Artis-Payne run. On the next play Duke had a catch over the middle.
▪ Olsen had a great catch on an Anderson pass that was tipped by Cyprien. Newton: “Good catch 88.”
▪ Pick 6 by Shaq Thompson off Titans starter Marcus Mariota ;eads Thomas Davis to yell “House call!”
▪ Panthers interim GM Marty Hurney spent time visiting with ex-Panthers scout and current Titans exec Ryan Cowden, who is likely to be among the candidates for Carolina’s permanent general manager gig.
▪ Former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher was at practice. Cowher is buddies with Titans coach Mike Mularkey and apparently pops into practice every once in a while.