Latest News

Propane heater caused explosion in Caldwell Co.

WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

An effort to stay warm in Caldwell County landed one man in the hospital and caused a small explosion.

Around 10 p.m. Saturday there was an explosion at a mobile home on Antique Lane in Caldwell County.

Collettesville Fire chief Larry Price says the man was using a propane heater to keep warm after the home lost power because of the wind.

Price says the man hooked some type of gas grill to the heater with an additional second tank nearby, causing it to overheat and explode. The small explosion had enough power to blow out walls and windows of the home.

Officials say the man was able to use a fire extinguisher to put out the flames before firefighters arrived. He told crews he got out of the house by shooting out a window and crawling out.

According to crews, the resident was conscious and talking when they got on scene, but he suffered second and third degree burns and was taken to the hospital.

  Comments