An effort to stay warm in Caldwell County caused a small explosion, sending one man to the hospital.
The explosion happened at a mobile home in Caldwell County about 10 p.m. Saturday. Collettesville Fire Chief Larry Price said the man was using a propane heater designed for outside use to keep warm after the home lost power because of the wind.
Price said the man hooked up a heater with a second tank nearby, causing it to overheat and explode, blowing out walls and windows of the home.
Officials say the man was able to use a fire extinguisher to put out the flames before firefighters arrived. He told crews he got out of the house by shooting out a window and crawling out.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
According to crews, the man, who was not named, was conscious and talking when they got on scene, but he suffered second- and third-degree burns and was taken to the hospital. WBTV