Latest News

Union News |

Judge's ruling

A Superior Court judge last week ruled against a group of developers and builders who sued Union County, trying to throw out the adequate public facilities ordinance.

Under the ordinance, developers in high-growth school districts must reduce the size of projects, delay construction or help pay to build new schools.

Union County argued the choices mean the ordinance does not levy outright impact fees, which courts have invalidated.

Superior Court Judge Chris Collier's decision came Thursday. The written order probably won't be ready until this week, said Ligon Bundy, county's attorney. Plaintiffs are the Union Land Owners Association, Craft Development LLC, Fairview Developers and R.D. Harrell Co.

Mike Torralba.

Sewer plant hearing

The Weddington Town Council will meet at 6 p.m. Monday at Weddington High School to deliberate in open session on a conditional use permit for a private sewer treatment plant in the proposed subdivision The Woods.

This meeting follows five nights of hearings on the matter.

Mayor Nancy Anderson said it is unlikely that a decision will be reached Monday. She said it will likely be Wednesday before the council will come to a decision.

Esther Robards-Forbes.

Bids on town hall

Mineral Springs will soon get construction bids for its new town hall. The Charlotte architecture firm working with the town, Pease Associates, is coordinating bidding and is expected to present recommendations to the town council Sept. 23, Mayor Rick Becker said.

The town has budgeted $500,000 to renovate and expand a Depression-era building on Potter Road that once was Mineral Springs School.

Mike Torralba

Church Centennial

Walkersville Presbyterian Church will celebrate its “Centennial Homecoming” on Sept. 14.

The celebration will be held under the big old oak trees if weather permits. Schedule: history tour, 10 a.m.; worship service 11 a.m., covered dish lunch, noon. Information, call 704-843-0838.

John Anderson.

Contact us

We want to hear your story ideas and your thoughts about Neighbors of Union County. E-mail or call 704-358-6035 with questions or comments.