Unless you get a special permit from Mecklenburg County, shooting off fireworks is illegal in North Carolina. According to www.charmeck.org, here are the guidelines:
LEGAL: Sparklers, fountains and novelty fireworks items that do not explode or are not intended to spin or to leave the ground and fly through the air.
NOT LEGAL: Firecrackers, ground spinners, roman candles, rockets (including bottle rockets), mortars, etc.
Fireworks safety tips:
1. Always have water handy (a garden hose and a bucket).
2. Light only one firework at a time.
3. Never relight a “dud” firework.
4. When not in use, store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
5. Dispose of fireworks properly by soaking them in water and then disposing of them in your trash can.
6. Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
7. Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
8. The shooter should always wear eye protection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
9. Make sure your pets are safe and secure.
10. To report illegal fireworks, call 311.