Latest News

Man convicted in violent robbery

A man accused of shooting at a police officer after the violent robbery of a west Charlotte convenience store last year was convicted this week, prosecutors said.

The two-day trial against Michael Lamont Moore, 34, ended Wednesday, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office. A federal jury found the Charlotte man guilty of armed robbery, conspiracy to commit armed robbery and a federal arms violation.

The robbery happened in April 2010 at the Thomasboro Grocery on Bradford Drive, off Freedom Drive. Two masked and armed men came into the store and demanded money before fleeing in a van, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said last year. During the robbery, one of the suspects held a revolver to a 16-year-old girl's head, prosecutors said.

A patrol sergeant spotted the van soon after the robbery and began tailing it. The van stopped at Allenbrook Elementary School, and four people jumped from the vehicle and ran. One of the men turned and shot at the pursuing sergeant, police said. The officer was not hit.

In June, another one of the four suspects, 36-year-old Joseph Alexander Clinton, was convicted in connection with the robbery, prosecutors said. Two others, Davenon Farmer, 32, and Timothy Herron, 37, both of Charlotte, have pleaded guilty to charges connected with the robbery.

Evidence presented at trial showed Moore conspired with the other men to rob the store and then participated in the crime. Evidence also showed Moore was the one who fired two shots at the officer as the suspects fled, prosecutors said.

Moore's sentencing date has not yet been set. He faces up to 20 years in prison for the conspiracy and robbery charges, prosecutors said. The federal firearms violation could warrant a life sentence.

  Comments