Recently I learned that when certified diva Mariah Carey enters a room, she likes for only her hit songs to be used as background music the entire time she is present.
And when I say “likes for” I mean that if you’re the DJ and you’re not playing Mariah, there’s a good chance your next gig will be at an interstate Ramada with the weeds growing in the parking lot cracks.
While some might think this is silly and over-the-top behavior, I think our girl might be onto something.
We all should have a theme song when we enter a room. I am considering demanding that each time I step into an elevator, office lobby or, OK, my own living room, the music should immediately switch to my personal theme song.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
I didn’t actually have one until I read about Mariah but now I’ve adopted that Donna Summer classic: “She Works Hard for the Money.” Who can resist a little disco, amiright?
What follows is my list of possible theme songs for a few notables. Keep in mind, these are carefully curated suggestions that I have painstakingly developed following an exhaustive 10-minute Google search of popular song titles. OK, maybe I don’t work THAT hard for the money.
You’re welcome to come up with your own suggestions, but for now I hope you'll consider…
▪ “I Can’t Make You Love Me” (Bonnie Raitt): Hillary Rodham Clinton.
▪ ”21st Century Schizoid Man” (King Crimson): Donald J. Trump.
▪ “Toys in the Attic” (Aerosmith): Sarah Palin.
▪ “Gridlock!!” (Electric Six): Mitch McConnell.
▪ “The Sound of Silence” (Simon & Garfunkel): Empty halls of Congress while CDC begs for Zika funding during ill-timed summer recess.
▪ “Space Oddity” (David Bowie): Ted Cruz.
▪ “Fat Bottomed Girls” (Queen): OK, me again.
▪ “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (Nirvana): Bernie Sanders.
▪ “I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself” (Dusty Springfield): Chris Christie.
▪ “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” (U2): My 88-year-old Aunt Verlie rummaging in her purse for the past hour now.
▪ “Satan Gave Me a Taco” (Beck): Tim Kaine puzzling Hispanics at a political rally while meaning to say “I’m so glad to be here!”
▪ “Macho Insecurity” (Dead Kennedys): Jeb Bush.
▪ “Take This Job and Shove It!” (David Allan Coe): Barack Obama.
▪ “Help!” (The Beatles): Bachelorette JoJo Fletcher after realizing her big dumb fiance Jordan Rodgers is actually an animatronic robot made by Mattel.
▪ “Little Lies” (Fleetwood Mac): Every woman who ever appeared on any episode of “The Bachelor” and said “You know I don’t usually do this on the first date…”
▪ “Cold, Cold Heart” (Hank Williams): The checker at the grocery store who automatically gave me the senior discount.
▪ “Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car” (Billy Ocean): Josh Duggar, famous pervy big brother recently turned used car salesman.
▪ “I Say a Little Prayer” (Dionne Warwick): Mike Pence, for his immortal soul.
▪ “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” (Frank Sinatra): Michael Phelps after noticing a disturbing rash in Rio.