CLT Boomer

Why a senior real estate specialist could be the right fit

Melinda Johnston

Searching for a new home for you or your parent can be overwhelming, but you don’t have to go it alone.

If you are considering selling your home and moving, even out of the area, or if you are thinking about buying a house in a senior community, consider talking with a Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES). These realtors are specially trained to assist with all the issues surrounding the moving needs of those 55 and older.

Whether you are an empty nester looking to move to an active senior community, or have aging parents who need help selling their home and disposing of excess belongings, an SRES can help.

SRES Paul Jamison, of Jamison Realty with Keller Williams South Park, says he enjoys working with those in transition.

“I can help people transition from a house to assisted living, or help empty nesters move to a different type of home. They are usually looking for something smaller with main level living, and there’s a lot of factors to take into consideration when making such a move,” said Jamison.

“Sometimes I work with people trying to make decisions for their parents. I take them through the appraisal process, help them decide where to take things they no longer want or need (auction, estate sale, Good Will, etc.) and help them plan their move, sometimes to another state.”

Jamison says an SRES can also give advice to seniors trying to decide whether to rent or buy.

“Many seniors are looking at the option of renting because they are tracking their families, and their families are in transition. The family moves here, the parents follow. Their kids move again, and the parents go with them,” said Jamison.

SRESs can also provide references to other resources that can make your move less stressful including senior move management, financial planning, and elderly law and real estate planning firms.