Snowflakes, fingerprints, grilled pizzas: No two are ever the same.
If you can embrace the imperfect outcomes and improvisational spirit, grilling pizzas can be a lot of fun. You start with the same essentials you’d use for oven-made pizza – dough, sauce, toppings – but cook the pizza directly on the grill grates instead. After grilling one side of the crust, flip it over and add the toppings.
Here are five easy toppings for grilled pizza. Each makes enough to serve four; ingredients are listed in the order in which you should put them on the pizza.
1. Spinach and feta: 2 cups ricotta, 1/2 pound chopped, fresh spinach, 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a drizzle of olive oil.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
2. Fig, rosemary and Parmesan: 16 fresh black Mission figs, stemmed and cut into 4 pieces, 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary, 2 cups shredded mozzarella, 3/4 cup grated Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.
3. Bacon and red onion: 3/4 cup tomato sauce, 12 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces, 1 thinly sliced red onion, 2 cups shredded mozzarella, and 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
4. Loaded veggie: 3/4 cup tomato sauce, 2 small yellow squashes and 1 zucchini, sliced into 1-inch sticks, 1/2 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, kernels from 1 ear corn, 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes and 2 cups shredded mozzarella.
5. Tomato and lemon: 5 thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes, 12 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese, 2 cups shredded Asiago cheese, 2 sprigs chopped cilantro, zest of 1 lemon and 1/4 cup olive oil, drizzled.