The inaugural season of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Moms In Training Program in Charlotte culminated with the Race To The Taste 5k and Cupcake Run/Walk on June 11th.
Moms In Training, a social, flexible 10-week fitness program consisted of 125 participating moms in the Charlotte area who have collectively raised $125,000 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in its first year alone. One of the program’s Honored Heroes, Levi Vetter, a brave 4-year old boy who is currently undergoing treatment for acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), was also able to participate in the Kids' Dash at the event. Levi’s mom and Moms In Training member, Julie Vetter, said, "Moms In Training Charlotte had a great first season! Cancer has impacted so many lives, and thankfully I am surrounded by amazing friends - old and new - who want to help raise awareness and money for a cure. Levi was one of the Honored Heroes this season, but we are the ones that are honored to be a part of such an amazing community!”
Volunteer co-chair of the program, Jenny Luquire, adds, "If Levi had been diagnosed with ALL in 1960, his chance of survival would have been just 4%. Today, thanks to the remarkable research funded by LLS, the chance of survival for children battling the same cancer has climbed to 91%. That’s a huge stride, but what about the other 9% of children? That's why we are doing what we are doing, and I am so thankful for the platform that Moms In Training has provided to unite us in this mission.” Reflecting on this first season, mom Gretchen Scavo shared, "I've had so much fun these past 10 weeks with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Moms in Training Program. Meeting new friends, supporting Julie and other moms/families who have been affected by cancer, and of course working out.”
For more information see our recent story here and if you are interested in joining Moms In Training leadership committee or becoming a volunteer coach for the upcoming Spring 2017 season, please contact Jenny Luquire at Jenny.Luquire@lls.org
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.