Written by Susan Caldwell
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe that a friend shared with me two years ago. It’s so simple and easy to make and your lil’ chef at home can lend a hand stretching out the crescent rolls, crushing the saltines, and shredding the chicken. I skip a step by purchasing a rotisserie chicken the evening before I plan to make this recipe and shred it in advance rather than cooking it myself. You can find those chickens sometimes for half price late in the day and they’re perfect for lots of recipes.
1 (8 oz) can Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
8 oz cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter, softened
2-3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
1 sleeve Saltine Crackers, crushed
1 can cream of chicken soup
¼ cup milk
2 spoons full sour cream
½ cup shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Soften ¼ cup butter and 8oz. block of cream cheese. Then stir to a smooth consistency. Add cooked shredded chicken to the bowl.
3. Lay out the 8 crescents on a cookie sheet. Stretch the crescent out.
4. Place a couple spoon fulls of the creamy chicken mixture into the center of the crescent to fill it. Then fold the crescent around the mixture so that none of it is showing. I'll call this the "pillow".
5. In a separate smaller bowl, put the egg and a little bit of water, maybe a couple Tablespoons worth and beat together.
6. Dip the "pillow" into the blended egg. After dipping into the blended egg, proceed to dip it into the crushed saltine crackers and place on cookie sheet. Repeat for the remaining 7 crescents.
7. Cook the pillows at 400 F for 20 minutes. Keep an eye on them your oven might cook them quicker.
For the sauce topping
1. Put can of cream of chicken and milk into a sauce pan. Add as much milk as you want to get it to the consistency you want i.e. thicker or runnier. When hot enough add 2 spoon fulls of sour cream and cheese to your liking.