I’m sure most of us, even those that don’t receive a newspaper, are familiar with that increasingly out of date and insipid “Family Circus” newspaper cartoon by Bil Keane.
Keane has built an empire around maybe five gags (“Not Me”, “Billy Walks Around the Neighborhood”, and “Jeffey Is Confused About a Word” are the first that come to my mind). I lack both the artistic merit to draw a comic and the originality to even come up with five gags to reuse over and over, but as we enter the middle to end of November we are going to start visiting family- and that’s when inspiration struck me.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
A common thread in the Family Circus cartoon is “It’s Apparent You’re A Parent”- this heading is usually accompanied by a drawing of something like the dad introducing his wife as “Mommy” to his business associates. Well, in honor of anticipated holiday visits with family I’m going to steal this idea and modify it to:
“It’s Apparent You’re a Grandparent”
- It’s apparent you’re a grandparent when you casually suggest that candy might be a nice after school snack. Kids remember that stuff.
- It’s apparent you’re a grandparent when you have no idea how horrible Wow Wow Wubbzy is.
- It’s apparent you’re a grandparent when you drop what ever important thing it is you’re doing to spend time with your grandkids.
- It’s apparent you’re a grandparent when you let my kid get away with stuff I NEVER would have gotten away with (things like pinching, stomping feet, and jumping on couches come to mind).
- It’s apparent you’re a grandparent when you gladly engage in a conversation about how high one can count- for the third time that day.
- It’s apparent you’re a grandparent when you are the only person we’d let watch our child for a couple of hours so mommy and daddy can go out by themselves. Thanks!
Dang, grandparents rock! And my daughter is lucky to have such great ones.