Here is another school lunch summary post of what I’ve been packing for my daughters (and sharing almost daily on Facebook)!
To learn more about the lunches I pack here are some links
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
- Our favorite school lunch supplies including the commonly pictured plastic Ziploc divided containers (each compartment is leak-proof).
- Everything you could ever want to know about those colorful smoothie pop molds used in some lunches.
- The reason we don’t track protein.
- Our recipe index where you’ll find a lot of the recipes pictured below.
- Readers sometimes ask what these lunches look like after they are tossed all around in the backpackso check out The Life Cycle of a School Lunch where I share before and after pictures.
- There are also some previous posts similar to this one: School Lunch Roundup I, School Lunch Roundup II, School Lunch Roundup III, School Lunch Roundup IV, and Nut-Free School Lunches.
Also be sure to check out our School Lunch FAQs with other info including what I do to prevent apples from turning brown!
School Lunch Roundup Photos
- BLTs on whole-wheat (with organic bacon, local tomato, and local lettuce)
- Organic Kettle brand potato chips (a rare treat!)
- Wild cherry tomatoes (from the farmers’ market)
- Apple slices
- (Make your own pizza lunch) Sliced whole-wheat pitas
- Organic tomato sauce
- Shredded cheese
- Fresh mozzarella and (local) tomato
- Whole-wheat pretzels
- Homemade onion dip (recipe will be in my upcoming cookbook)
- Prosciutto wrapped mozzarella
- Sliced apples
- Baby carrots
- Whole-wheat pretzels (from Trader Joe’s)
- Salad with (local) tomatoes, parmesan cheese & olive oil
- 100% whole-wheat and organic boxed mac and cheese (by Annie’s) mixed with peas
- Lasagna (made with whole-wheat noodles, grass-fed beef, pastured pork sausage, organic tomato sauce, and cheese of course!)
- Salad (lettuce, toasted sunflower seeds, parmesan cheese, olive oil)
- Mini carrot applesauce muffins
- Peanut butter & honey sandwich on whole-wheat
- Salad (spinach, almonds, parmesan, raisins, olive oil)
- Plain yogurt mixed with a little pure maple syrup and topped with frozen raspberries
- Leftover spaghetti sauce mixed with some noodles and steamed broccoli
- Organic dried apples
- Leftover whole-wheat garlic toast
- Cinnamon/raisin/walnut bread and organic cream cheese sandwich
- A little cheese wheel
- Carrots and frozen peas
- 1-ingredient store bought applesauce
- A hard boiled egg