Summer means it’s time to hit the farmers market. We have several in this area; check out CharlotteObserver.com for an interactive list.
Here are some simple tips to make the most out of your trip:
▪ Bring your own bags.
▪ Carry cash. Even though some venders can take credit/debit, they usually have to pay a small fee per transaction. Bring smaller denominations to make easy change.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
▪ Ask questions. Farmers are very proud of their products and are usually happy to talk.
▪ Try new things. Add something new to your menu each week to appreciate local produce.
▪ Don’t haggle. Local farmers work hard and put everything in what they are presenting.
▪ Buy family favorites in bulk and freeze or can to enjoy later in the year.
▪ Consider taking along a cooler in case you get refrigerated items such as fresh goat cheese.
▪ Think beyond food. Look for homemade soap and handmade items.