Corned beef hash is one of the most tasty breakfast accompaniments there is, but there are so many other options for flavor when making it from scratch. Hash is one of those dishes that can be modified and created into any taste or combination imaginable. Start with a good baking potato and treat it right. Peel it, or not, dice into small pieces and boil in salted water just until tender. After that let your imagination run wild. Put your mind into pizza making mode with an anything goes attitude and use any food style, flavor or meal preference as inspiration.Here is one combination that plays on the heat and sweet flavor combination, incorporating sweetness from the ham, tangy-tartness from the apple; heat is brought into the picture with fresh diced jalapenos and a little blackened seasoning. Watch Chef Troy prepare this recipe and other hash options on Fox News Rising this coming Tuesday from 7-9 am on Fox Charlotte.
Blackened Ham & Apple Potato Hash
1/2 lb russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4” cubes, boiled and drained
1/2 lb ham steak, cut into 1/4” cubes
1 teaspoon blackened Seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to rub ham
1/4 cup yellow onion, fine diced
1 jalapeno, raw, deseeded and fine diced
1 Granny Smith apple
to taste kosher salt/black pepperDirections:
1. Heat grill/pan to medium high heat.
2. Toss ham lightly with oil and season to taste with blackened seasoning.
3. Place on grill/pan, sear on both sides and warm through.
4. Remove and let cool just long enough to handle.
5. Warm olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat.
6. Add potatoes and cook in one layer to crust potatoes slightly, toss occasionally.
7. Add garlic, onion, jalapeno, apple and sauté until onions are translucent, abou3-5 minutes.
8. Add ham, season to taste and stir to combine.
9. Cook until heated through and serve.