Ok, so I have to admit that the weather has everything to do with what I want to eat, true for most I am sure. As when it is cold we are looking for comfort in something warm and when it is hot we love cool and refreshing dishes. For whatever reason with spring already in the air I am craving a big ole` juicy backyard grilled burger. Here is one of my favoritesI present to you the Phatty Melt. Getting outside to grill bacon and jalapeno stuffed grilled cheese sandwiches to use for buns really gets my blood pumping, which may come in handy afterwards.Using pork for the patties and topping with crisp fried shoestring potatoes this is one burger, a.k.a. Phatty Melt that you have to taste to believe how crazy good it is. Enjoy the Phatty Melt and the weather; hopefully it stays on through until the real spring arrives in a few weeks.
Bacon Jalapeno Grilled Cheese Pork & Fry Phatty Melt
Makes 4 BurgersBurger:
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
2 pounds ground pork, form into 8-4 oz. square patties
Chef Troy’s Back Rub or salt & pepper, to taste
8, 6 inch skewersBuns:
16 slices white bread
olive oil, to brush
8 slices havarti cheese, thick sliced 16 thick sliced bacon, cooked, not crispy and drained
1 jalapeno, ends removed, (de-seeded if you’re a sissy) & sliced thinFries:
4 baking potatoes, sliced with a julienne speed peeler or mandolin, soak in water
kosher salt, to taste
1-2 quart canola oilDirections:
Preheat fryer or stock pot half filled with canola oil.
Preheat grill to medium high heat for direct and indirect grilling.Buns:
1. Lay out eight slices of bread, top with 2 slices of bacon, a few slices of jalapeno and a slice of cheese on each. Top with remaining bread, lightly brush top with oil.
2. Place all eight sandwiches on the direct heat side of the grill.
3. Grill until slightly charred, about 1 minute, flip and grill one minute.
4. Move each to the top rack of the indirect heat side.
5. Close the lid and cook until cheese is melted.
6. Remove and keep warm by covering with a clean kitchen towel.Burgers:
1. Season the burgers on both sides and place on grill.
2. Grill until desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium.Fries
1. While burgers are grilling; drain potatoes in a strainer.
2. Fry in a couple of batches in preheated oil until golden and crisp, keep a close eye they cook fast.
3. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and season with salt as soon as they come out of the oil.Assemble:
1. Take one grilled cheese sandwich bun and top with a pork burger.
2. Top each with a hand full of the crispy potatoes and another pork burger.
3. Top with another grilled cheese, skewer on two sides, cut in half and serve.