Winter weather has been sporadic, but there is always room on the dinner table for something cozy and hearty. Time is always a factor during the holiday season so a hearty one bowl meal can be a time saver. Enter the “sousta”; what I am calling a cross between a soup and a pasta dish that makes a complete meal all in one dish.Start to finish this white bean and tomato sousta can be made in less than an hour; the perfect amount of time to enjoy a cold beer or glass of wine. Use whatever is in the pantry or fridge to save a trip to the store and make it your own. The key to this dish is the white beans. Smashing half of the beans will provide the smooth creaminess to the dish once it all comes together. The remaining beans are added whole along with the pasta, kale and tomato for a perfect soup/pasta texture. A splash of vinegar will brighten up the flavor added a subtle twang to dish.Serve in a bowl with a nice of bread and top with grated parmesan cheese and enjoy your sousta.White Bean and Tomato Sousta 2 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
1 Tablespoon-Olive Oil
½ Cup-Carrot-fine dice
3 Cloves-Garlic-chopped fine
1-15 Can-Dice Tomato-drained, reserve liquid
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper/Crushed Red Pepper
2-15 Ounce Cans-White Beans-drained
2 ½ Cups-Chicken Stock
1 Tablespoon-White Balsamic Vinegar-or apple cider vinegar
1 Cup-Kale-stem removed, rough chopped
½ Pound-Ditolini Pasta-(or any small pasta, or spaghetti broken into pieces) cooked, drained, cooled
To Garnish-Parmesan Cheese-gratedDirections 1. Melt butter with oil over medium heat in stock pot.
2. Add carrot, onion and cook until onions are clear, 2-3 minutes.
3. Add garlic cook for one minute and add drained tomato/thyme, stir to combine.
4. Place half the beans in a bowl, smash with the back of a fork and add to pot.
5. Add remaining beans, stock, vinegar, season with salt/pepper/crushed red and bring to a strong simmer.
6. Lower heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
7. Add kale, pasta, stir to combine and remove from heat.
8. Remove thyme sprigs and discard.
9. Portion in bowls, to with grated parmesan and serve.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.