Oh the classic chicken marsala. It is one of those dishes that is pure soul satisfying comfort. Which is usually means a heavy dish. Typically it is made with lots of butter and served with a heaping portion of fettuccini alfredo. Well, here is a version that uses little butter, and is perfect with a kale salad.Doing the ole’ switch-a-roo replacing the chicken with a whole boneless turkey breast it will feed an entire family all in one pop. Turkey doesn’t make this dish lighter in calories but does give a lighter feel and appearance to the finished dish. After seasoning, lightly dust turkey breast with flour, shake off excess and sear in olive oil until deep golden brown on both sides. Remove turkey, add onions/mushrooms, cook to soften. Add turkey back to pan with dry marsala wine and pop the whole thing in the oven to roast.Simply as that, to finish the sauce, simply remove turkey to a plate to rest, swirl in a touch of butter and you have the lightest, simplest marsala sauce you will ever have. Sliced turkey, pile high, top with sauce and enjoy!For more great recipes visit www.cheftroy.net and watch Chef Troy every Tuesday morning on WCCB Charlotte’s News Rising.
Turkey Portabella Mushroom Marsala
1 Each-Turkey Breast-boneless skinless
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper/Crushed Red Pepper
To Dust-All Purpose Flour
3 Tablespoons-Olive Oil
1 Cup-White Onion-halved and sliced thin
3 Cups-Portabella Mushroom-about three medium size, sliced ¼” thick
¾ Cup-Dry Marsala Wine
2 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in an oven safe skillet over medium high heat.
3. Season with salt/pepper/crushed red, dredge in flour, patting on to evenly coat entire breast.
4. Add oil to butter, swirl to incorporate and add turkey to pan.
5. Leave turkey to brown, gently shaking pan occasionally to loose from pan, 2-3 minutes.
6. Carefully flip turkey and brown other side, 2-3 minutes and remove from pan to a plate.
7. Add 1 tablespoon of butter, onion/mushroom and cook until softened, 3-5 minutes.
8. Add marsala, stir to incorporate, top with turkey, any juices from plate and place in oven.
9. Place in oven and cook until just cooked through with an internal temperature of 155 degrees.
10. Remove from oven, place turkey on cutting board and pan on burner over medium heat.
11. Add remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, swirl to melt into sauce and turn off heat.
12. Slice turkey, place in individual plates of a serving platter and top with sauce.