Valentine’s Day is one of the busiest times of year for restaurants. So whether you are trying to avoid the rush or want to celebrate simply at home here is a recipe for two that is easy to prepare.You will notice that the portion size is smaller and just right to include a sweet treat at the end of the meal. Tune in to Fox Charlotte’s Fox News Rising morning show from 7-9 am this coming Tuesday and watch as I prepare a four course, two person meal for under $40 that you can easily make yourself that evening for your celebration.
Pepper Crusted Steak with Lobster Avocado Salad
Serves 2 as a EntréeSalad:
2 Lobster Tails, 5 ounces
1/2 avocado,pit removed and scooped from skin
1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
2 tablespoons red onion
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, zest and juice
1 tablespoon parsley
black pepper & kosher salt to tasteDirections:
1. Set up a steamer with about 2 to 3 cups of water and a pinch of salt, and bowl of ice water.
2. Place lobster in steamer, and steam for 1 1/2 minutes per ounce.
3. Remove and place lobster in ice water to cool and stop the cooking, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Remove from water, wrap in paper towel.
5. Place in the refrigerator, for at least one hour, can be done a day ahead of time.
6. Cube the avocado into 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl with tomatoes and onions.
7. Remove the lobster tail from the refrigerator, unwrap, cut shell off with scissors and discard.
8. Cube lobster into the same size pieces as the avocado and place in the bowl with the other ingredients.
9. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
10. Gently fold to incorporate and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
11. Leave at room temperature while cooking the steak.
Steak: 2 New York Strip Steak 10 to 12 ounces, remove any visible fat or gristle
Olive oil, to drizzle
black pepper & kosher salt, to tasteDirections: Directions:1. Set steak out at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
2. Preheat grill to medium high heat or an iron skillet to medium high heat.
3. Lightly drizzle with olive oil and season pepper and salt.
4. Place on grill/skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium rare.
5. Remove from grill/skillet and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
6. Cut steak into thin slices and evenly distribute on 2 plates shingling the slices in a line.
7. Remove plastic wrap ; gently fold salad and dress with a little olive oil if needed.
8. Top the steak slices with a little of the lobster and avocado salad and serve.