The traditional corned beef sandwich with sauerkraut on rye is a great sandwich to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with but why not try something a bit different this year.This sandwich stuffed with corned beef, brie cheese, sour apples and smeared with bourbon glazed onion mayo will get the party started after it is grilled to perfection. Simple to prepare and easy to help entertain by cutting into party size pieces this sandwich will make you the star of the night.
Corned Beef, Apple, Brie Panini with Bourbon Glazed Onion Mayo
Makes 4 Sandwiches 8 slices, whole wheat sandwich bread
olive oil, to brush
1 lb corned beef, thinly sliced
8 oz brie cheese, place in freezer for 15 minutes and slice thin
1 Granny Smith apple, halved, cored, sliced thinBourbon Glazed Onion Mayo:
2 cups yellow onions (cut into half moons)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 oz bourbon
1 cup mayonnaiseWhiskey Glazed Onion Mayo:
1. Preheat sauté pan to medium high heat.
2. Melt the butter; add onions, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
3. Cook onions until they start to soften and start to color, about 5 minutes.
4. Add bourbon and reduce heat to low.
5. Cook onions, stirring frequently, until golden brown and most of the liquid has evaporated.
6. Let onions cool to room temperature.
7. Rough chop the onions, stir into the mayo and store in an air tight container in refrigerator.
1. Preheat a Panini grill/grill/griddle/iron skillet to medium high heat.
2. Lightly brush one side of each piece of bread with oil.
3. With oiled side down, spread a thin layer of bourbon glazed onion mayo on each piece of bread.
4. On all eight pieces of bread, equally distribute the brie cheese and corned beef.
5. Place apple slices on four pieces.
6. Take remaining four pieces, without apples, and flip over to top sandwiches.
7. Apples should be in the middle of all four sandwiches.
8. Grill each sandwich until crisp. Cheese should be soft and entire sandwich warmed through.