Ok, it’s hot. We knew it was coming and here it is. So let’s just embrace the summer weather and try to find things to beat the heat. As things get hotter meals get lighter and anything frozen will definitely get it done.The traditional “foole”, as it was known centuries ago in England, is pureed/stewed fruit folded into a simple custard. A “fool”, as it is spelled now, is now usually built in the trifle or parfait style as before but whipped cream replaces the custard.For my version I take the modern route and layer it with crumbled cake, chill and serve. But then it hit me; why not make a frozen ice cream type sandwich using the some components. Angel food, or pound cake, sliced and topped with the fool mixture of pureed fresh summer fruit and whipped cream. Top with another slice of cake to make a sandwich, wrap and freeze. This treat is super simple, easy and most of all a refreshing way to use summer fruits in a creative and unique way. For more recipes visit www.cheftroy.net and be sure to watch “Tuesdays with Troy” every week from 7-9am on WCCB’s Rising.
Frozen Strawberry Fool Sandwiches
1 1/2 Cups-Fresh Strawberries-stem removed and halved
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
2 Cups-Heavy Whipping Cream
¼ Cup-Powdered Sugar
¼ Teaspoon-Almond Extract
2 Teaspoons-Lemon Zest
1 Loaf-Angel Food Cake-thin slicedDirections1. Chill bowl of stand up mixer, or glass mixing bowl.
2. Place strawberries in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
3. Place strawberry puree, heavy cream, sugar, extract and zest in chilled bowl.
4. Fit mixer with whip attachment/or use whisk and combine, whisking until stiff peaks form.
5. Spoon some of the whipped cream mixture on half the cake slices.
6. Top with remaining slices, wrap each in plastic wrap and place in freezer for at least 4 hours.
7. When ready to eat, remove from freezer, unwrap and enjoy.