Our strategy to make it through the colder months? Find a warm, cozy hideout to hunker down, preferably one with room service. These five hotels – with their fireplaces, fire pits and other toasty features – provide the perfect hibernation spots that will thaw out our feet and our hearts.
1. The Jefferson, Washington, D.C.: The Jefferson has the very picture of a classic, cozy den: a substantial mantle, regal club chairs and a crackling fire. But that’s what you’d expect from a hotel named after our third president and based in our nation’s capital. Plus, considering D.C.’s wet and chilly climate in winter, we’re betting tourist and business travelers alike appreciate the old fashioned warmup. Details: www.jeffersondc.com.
2. The Maritime Hotel, New York: The Maritime’s lobby is pure whimsy, from the globe-shaped chandeliers to the model ships to the brass anchors strewn about – it’s a hotel made for a Wes Anderson film. But unlike some other high-design hotels, this lobby is still exceedingly cozy, as is evident from the working ceramic fireplace hidden in the back. Pulling up a navy armchair to its warmth feels like you’ve settled into the ultimate admiral’s quarters. And it’s perfectly positioned close to the bar, so orders for a hot toddy can be carried out by the crew, er, staff. Details: www.themaritimehotel.com.
3. Fairmont Heritage Place, San Francisco: San Francisco’s creeping fog means the city can sink into a chilly haze. So savvy visitors know finding a place to snuggle up and peel off a few layers is crucial. And the Fairmont’s apartment-style units in Ghirardelli Square aim to please with gaslit fireplaces in each one. Guests who want to stay social can also head to the roof deck, where two outdoor gas fireplaces await along with waterfront views. Details: www.fairmont.com/ghirardelli-san-francisco.
4. Calistoga Ranch, Calistoga, Calif.: What could be more romantic than pairing a good bottle of wine with a crackling fire? The Calistoga Ranch understands this. Its wine country resort is overloaded with luxurious extras – whirlpool tubs, outdoor showers – but perhaps the most luxurious features are the working fireplaces found in bedrooms, lounges and even on the outdoor decks. We suggest hitting the property’s private wine cave to select a bottle before settling in for the night. Details: https://calistogaranch.aubergeresorts.com.
5. La Posada de Santa Fe, Santa Fe, N.M.: Desert destinations have the same struggles with chill, and their solutions can be just as charming. The Southwestern La Posada offers travelers this alternative: Snuggle up in your own casita by a kiva-style fireplace, or head to the outdoor fire where you can snack on s’mores with fellow guests. Either way, you'll be snug. Details: www.laposadadesantafe.com.