Nearby Notes: Racing legend to wave green flag on Mount Airy exhibit


Racing legend launches exhibit

The Mount Airy Museum of Regional History will launch its annual racing exhibit Saturday with an appearance by legendary stock car driver Junior Johnson.

The NASCAR Hall of Famer will wave the green flag on the exhibit, "White Liquor and Dirt Tracks: Legacy of Teamwork," which runs through July and commemorates the region's strong ties to the racing industry.

Johnson's appearance highlights a day of activities that includes programs by NASCAR historian Daniel Pierce and Emmy-winning documentary filmmaker Neal Hutcheson.

There will also be a meet-and-greet session with several early drivers and officials, along with an auto display outside the museum that includes vintage race cars, moonshine runners and one of the cars used in the movie "Thunder Road." The day concludes with a live concert featuring oldies and rockabilly music.

The "White Liquor and Dirt Tracks" exhibit began in 2009. This year's display highlights the "team" aspect of racing. It features components built in cooperation with Richard Childress Racing, Hendrick Motorsports, Petty Enterprises, Wood Brothers Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing and the NASCAR Hall of Fame as well as private collectors.

The Saturday event will be 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Admission: $5 per person. Details: 336-786-4478; www.northcarolina .


Hard-to-beat aroma of fresh bread

Youngsters with an interest in cooking - or adults who love the smell of bread coming out of the oven - can attend an event at High Point Museum on Saturday and next Sunday: Costumed interpreters will bake bread and make butter in the Hoggatt House at the museum, 1859 E. Lexington Ave.

Colonial-era interpreters perform living history demonstrations and offer guided tours at the museum's historical park properties on weekends. The bread-and-butter making exhibition is free, and presented 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and 1-4 p.m. next Sunday.

The High Point Museum and a number of historic buildings in the park chronicle the history of the frontier area that became the Triad town. The Hoggatt House log home was built in 1801 and relocated to museum property in 1973.

Details: 336-885-1859.;


Civil War tales posted for 150th anniversary

Burning bacon or a bridge, firing on a church or scribbling in a courthouse, moving toward or away from troop supplies... all are stories told on North Carolina's most recently erected Civil War Trails markers.

The 12 newest markers are among nearly 200 in the state, and part of a network including Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and Tennessee. The signs are adorned with a red bugle under blue "Civil War Trail" lettering. The latest additions are in Alamance, Cabarrus, Cumberland, Duplin and Gates counties. They contribute to the observance of the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War.

The Cabarrus County marker is at St. John's Lutheran Church, 100 St. Johns Road, Concord. About 100 area soldiers who fought in the conflict are buried in the cemetery there.

Several of the new markers denote incidents from the Carolinas Campaign, which started Feb. 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Ga., after the March to the Sea.

The congregation of Freedom's Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church was among the most outspoken of southern abolitionist groups. Active with the Underground Railroad, the church stated that no Christian could hold slaves. Pro-slavery mobs attacked the congregation, and small arms were fired at the Alamance County church. Details on N.C. markers (and those in nearby states):

Details on observances of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War: