Cheapflights.com has released its annual airport affordability report, which ranks average fares found on its site in June for 101 most-searched airports.
As you would suspect, larger airports overwhelmingly top the list: They tend to have more carriers (competition fosters lower rates) and because they tend to be hubs, these airports are popular with those looking for one-stop or two-stop routes (cheapflights.com users are looking for details).
That said there are surprises: The top 10 list includes California’s Long Beach (LGB). That airport, Daugherty Field, is a Jet Blue hub; of its 12 destinations, 10 are west of the Mississippi, including seasonal flights to Anchorage, Alaska. (The exceptions are to New York’s JFK and to Boston). The two other carriers there are US Airways (to Phoenix) and Delta (to Salt Lake City). For some heading to the Los Angeles, Long Beach could be an alternative to LAX, which is 18 miles northeast.
And what about the airports you usually use?
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Charlotte/Douglas International weighed in at No. 59, with an average June fare of $402 – the same as flying in or out of Savannah/Hilton Head International (SAV). CLT was No. 88 last year.
Raleigh/Durham International (RDU) was No. 31 ($336), up from No. 60 last summer.
Greensboro’s Piedmont Triad International (GSO) was No. 69 ($426) – up from No. 82.
Greenville/Spartanburg International (GSP) sank to No. 98 (average June fare: $592), down from No. 62.
Here’s the new top 10 list:
1. Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International, Ohio (CVG). Average June fare: $199. Ranking last year: 77.
2. Atlanta International (ATL). Average June fare: $231. Ranking last year: 73.
3. Dallas Love Field (DAL). Average June fare: $251. Ranking last year: 4.
4. La Guardia, New York City (LGA). Average June fare: $251. Ranking last year: 31.
5. Chicago-O’Hare International, (ORD). Average June fare: $265. Ranking last year: 65.
6. Philadelphia International (PHL). Average June fare: $267. Ranking last year: 48.
7. Long Beach (Daugherty Field), Calif. (LGB). Average June fare: $267. Ranking last year: 2.
8. Cleveland-Hopkins International, Ohio (CLE). Average June fare: $278. Ranking last year: 66.
9. Orlando International, Fla. (MCO). Average June fare: $281. Ranking last year: 29.
10. Metropolitan Oakland International, Calif. (OAK). Average June fare: $282. Ranking last year: 12.
You’ll find the complete affordability report here.