Police academy bombing kills 43

A suicide bomber drove a car full of explosives into a line of applicants at an Algerian police academy Tuesday, killing at least 43 people in the deadliest terror attack to jolt this U.S. ally since the 1990s.

Witnesses said the blast in Les Issers, some 35 miles east of Algiers, tore a 3-foot-deep crater in the road, ripped off parts of the academy's roof and damaged much of its facade and nearby buildings.

Bodies covered with blankets lay amid rubble on the ground. The carcass of a charred car was on its side, its doors blown outward. Singed clothes were piled on a curb.

No group immediately claimed responsibility, but an al-Qaida affiliate previously said it was behind a series of bombings over the past two years in this North African country that has important oil and natural gas fields.

Violence has dramatically increased since 2006, when Algeria's last big extremist group left over from a quieted insurgency in the 1990s renamed itself al-Qaida in Islamic North Africa and joined Osama bin Laden's network.

Suicide attacks were unheard of in Algeria before the group linked up with al-Qaida.

Al-Qaida in Islamic North Africa claimed it carried out suicide strikes in Algiers that killed 33 people in April 2007, and bombings in the capital last December that killed 41 people, including 17 U.N. employees.

While some attacks have struck foreigners, most have targeted the Algerian military and national security services, which are controlled by secularist generals.

Algeria's insurgency broke out in 1992 after the army canceled the second round of legislative elections that an Islamist party was expected to win. The ensuing conflict killed up to 200,000 people, with massacres blamed on both sides.

Officials said Tuesday's bombing killed at least 43 people and wounded 45.

A security official told The Associated Press the attacker rammed the car into youths waiting to register at the police academy and detonated the load of explosives.

A witness said the scene was “a nightmare” when he arrived about the same time as emergency crews.

“There were bodies scattered all over the road, some corpses were completely charred, you couldn't even recognize their faces,” he said.