The NBA is expected to address team owners Friday on the controversy surrounding the 2017 All-Star Game in Charlotte.
The briefing would occur during the regularly scheduled board of governors meetings in New York, which conclude Friday.
After Gov. Pat McCrory signed into law House Bill 2, which limits the legal protections of LGBT individuals, the NBA said it is “deeply concerned that this discriminatory law runs counter to our guiding principles of equality and mutual respect.”
The league said it didn’t know what impact the law will have on its “ability to successfully host” the event in Charlotte.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
NBA officials would not comment yet on whether McCrory’s executive order this week has affected the league’s decision about Charlotte.
Legislators said HB2 was passed in response to a provision in Charlotte’s expanded nondiscrimination ordinance that would allow transgender individuals to use the bathroom that corresponds to the gender with which they identify. Critics say the bill went far beyond revoking the city’s action.
Charlotte won the bid to host the All-Star Game last June after the city had agreed to various upgrades and renovations at Time Warner Cable Arena. It would have been the first time Charlotte has hosted the game in 26 years.
Last month the Hornets secured funding from 15 sponsors for the game, which is scheduled for Feb. 17. The NBA All-Star weekend is estimated to have an approximately $100 million local economic impact, according to the Charlotte Regional Visitor Authority.