Years after the recession, office development has surged back in Charlotte. And with actual construction on the ground comes another surge: Marketing in cyberspace.
Most of the office towers being built from uptown to Ballantyne are being done on a speculative basis, without an anchor tenant. They’re competing to lure the same tenants, and they’ve set up websites to advertise their goods. Together, the projects total about 3 million square feet of new Class A office space coming to market in Charlotte.
Slick renderings and details on upcoming development – what more could development nerds ask for? Here’s a roundup of the office tower websites that have popped up this year (Click the name to see the website):
▪ 300 South Tryon: This 25-story office tower is one of the few that has an anchor tenant, Babson Capital. Totaling 630,000 square feet of office space, the tower by Spectrum Properties will also feature retail space and a 200-room connected hotel at the rear of the site, across from Romare Bearden Park.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Completion target: March 2017.
Marketing slogan: New. Aspiring. Upscale.
▪ 615 South College: Portman Holdings is developing this 19-story, 371,000 square-foot office tower on a specultative basis. The tower will have direct access to the Blue Line light rail.
Completion target: February 2017.
Marketing slogan: Home to Visionaries.
▪ Brigham Building, Ballantyne: Bissell, the longtime developer of Ballantyne Corporate Park, recently started construction on this 10-story, 287,507 square-foot speculative building, the office park’s biggest to date.
Completion target: November 2016
▪ Capitol Towers, SouthPark: Lincoln Harris recently completed the first of two 10-story office buildings and plans to break ground in late 2015 on the second. When completed, the towers will total 480,000 square feet of office space and 35,000 square feet of retail space.
Completion target: Phase One is complete, second building breaks ground later this year.
Marketing slogan: Upscale is being elevated.
▪ 500 East Morehead: Beacon Partners is building this seven-story, 180,000 square-foot building just south of uptown. The plan includes 15,000 square feet retail on the ground floor.
Completion target: First quarter 2017
Marketing slogan: Discover 500 East Morehead.
▪ Tryon Place: Probably the most ambitious office project on the books right now, Tryon Place is planned to be a 700,000 square foot office tower, along with a 450-room hotel and 30,000 square feet of retail. Crescent Communities initially said the building would be 27 stories, but renderings show it now well above 30 stories.
Completion target: Crescent has said it plans to start utility relocation and site work before the end of the year, with completion in 2017.
▪ 300 South Brevard: While technically not a new building, the former AT&T Plaza is getting a complete makeover and going back on the market as a block of up to 360,000 contiguous square feet. Stream Realty is behind the project.
Completion target: Mid-2016.
Marketing slogan: A building designed for Charlotte’s creative class.