Demolition at former Observer site sets stage for changing skyline
The developers planning to remake The Charlotte Observer’s former site along Stonewall Street are closing in on the last piece of land they need: a sheet metal shop that’s occupied a site on South Mint Street for more than 50 years.
Mecklenburg County public records show GSLH Charlotte Realty Holdings, a partnership between Charlotte-based Lincoln Harris and Goldman Sachs, is under contract to buy the Reeves Sheet Metal shop. The 0.65-acre site is a notch in the former Observer property, flanked on three sides by surface parking lots and a warehouse the Observer owned.
Real estate records show GSLH is set to close on its purchase of the Reeves Sheet Metal property by Sept. 30. The sale price hasn’t been disclosed yet. When that deal is completed, Lincoln Harris and Goldman Sachs will own a 10-acre site spanning two city blocks, adjacent to Bank of America Stadium. The companies closed on their $34.1 million purchase of the Observer’s property earlier this year.
The company has already started demolition at part of the Observer site, and D.H. Griffin crews are preparing to clear the whole property. Lincoln Harris has been tight-lipped about the company’s plans for redeveloping the site, which preliminary filings with the city indicate will become a major mixed-use development.
Randy Reeves, owner of the metal shop site, said he doesn’t know what plans for the site will entail. His business has been on the site since 1959.
The Observer has relocated to the NASCAR Plaza office tower, two blocks away from its former home on Stonewall Street.