A timeline of the Charlotte police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott
Rumors swirled Thursday that the protests following a police-involved shooting Tuesday would make their way south to areas like SouthPark. Law enforcement and the mall are working to dispel the talk.
In a statement, SouthPark mall officials said the mall is committed to providing a “safe, quality shopping environment for our guests and employees.”
A spokeswoman said certain stores may opt to close early, though.
“In order to maintain this experience, and in keeping with the center’s code of conduct, we do not allow protesting or picketing on property. While we welcome the community to enjoy shopping at our center, the center is private property and cannot be used as a public forum for discussion on topics of a religious or political nature,” the statement read.
Earlier on Thursday, Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department said that the “rumors are inaccurate.”
Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts continues to emphasize that Charlotte is open for business despite ongoing unrest following the police-involved shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, a 43-year-old African-American man. On Tuesday and Wednesday nights, protests turned violent, sending dozens to area hospitals with minor to serious injuries.
Bank of America, along with several other uptown businesses, told employees to stay home Thursday in light of the unrest in the city.
CMPD Chief Kerr Putney said in a press conference Thursday morning that the department will have a heavy presence out to prepare for a possible third night of heated protests.