Local

1 struck by lightning during thunderstorm in west Charlotte

The Charlotte skyline after Thursday night’s thunderstorm.
The Charlotte skyline after Thursday night’s thunderstorm. jarwood@charlotteobserver.com

A person was struck by lightning and hospitalized with minor injuries during a strong thunderstorm in west Charlotte on Thursday night.

The person was hit in the 3300 block of Freedom Drive in west Charlotte at about 8:40 p.m., Medic reported. Medic took the person to Novant Health Presbyterian Medical Center.

About 1,000 Duke Energy customers were without power in Mecklenburg County at 9 p.m.

The storm knocked out the video link on the stage at Ovens Auditorium during the sold-out performance by YouTube sensation DanTDM, said Betsy Rosen, who attended the performance. “And now this star with 15 million subscribers is doing q&a with audience,” Rosen emailed the Observer from the show.

The storm hit central Mecklenburg County with wind gusts up to 40 mph shortly before 8:30 p.m., including uptown, according to the National Weather Service.

Up to an inch of rain fell during the storm, meteorologists said.

No other injuries were reported, although drivers had to exercise extreme caution. Traffic lights on Clanton Road at Interstate 77 and South Tryon Street were flashing, WSOC-TV reported.

Thunderstorms have a 60 percent chance of returning on Friday and Saturday nights, a 40 percent chance Sunday and 60 percent chance Monday, according to the weather service

Highs are expected to reach 89 on Friday and 87 on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, NWS meteorologists said.

Joe Marusak: 704-358-5067, @jmarusak

  Comments