Local

Pay attention while you cook: Gastonia apartment fire injures one firefighter

A two-story apartment building in Gastonia was damaged in a fire Saturday night.
A two-story apartment building in Gastonia was damaged in a fire Saturday night. Gastonia Fire Department

One firefighter was taken to the hospital after extinguishing a fire in a Gastonia apartment building Saturday night.

The fire started when food was left unattended in an oven, the Gastonia Fire Department said.

Firefighters spent 15 minutes putting the fire out, and photos show the two-story building on the 2200 block of Pineview Lane was badly damaged.

Only one person was at home during the fire, and they got out safely because a smoke detector went off, the fire department said.

To prevent fires like this, the fire department recommends:

▪ Turn off the stove if you have to leave the kitchen – even if you’ll only be gone for a minute.

▪ Use a timer so you don’t forget food while it’s cooking.

▪ Check the area around the stove before you cook. Make sure towels, food packaging, oven mitts, wooden utensils and curtains are all a safe distance from the stove.

  Comments