Sons of Confederate Veterans member: Cooper wrong on Confederate monuments

Kings Mountain resident Kirk Carter
Kings Mountain resident Kirk Carter

A member of the South Carolina Sons of Confederate Veterans said he is in disagreement with the North Carolina governor regarding the future of confederate monuments in North Carolina.

Kings Mountain resident Kirk Carter said he has been a member of the South Carolina Sons of Confederate Veterans for more than 20 years.

He said his organization is a historical honor society that works to preserve the name of the Confederate soldiers and educate others about the history of the South.

Carter spoke about North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper’s message regarding the monuments Tuesday night.

Cooper said in a video that Confederate monuments displayed in public need to be removed. “We can’t continue to glorify against the United States of America fought in the defense of slavery,” said Cooper.

Carter said the governor is interpreting history wrong, arguing that slavery wasn’t the primary reason for the Civil War.

“Less than 15 percent of the South owned slaves. What were the other 85 percent fighting for? They were fighting to uphold the Constitution,” said Carter.

History aside, many are offended by the presence of Confederate statues in public. Carter responded to that sentiment too.

“Slavery has been around since biblical times. If anyone is to be upset, it would be the Jewish people,” said Carter. “Even today we have slaves. We are slaves to our work, slaves to the government. Slaves is a big definition. The Jews have more to be upset than any other race that I know.”

The Kings Mountain resident argued that removing the monuments would mean desecrating the statues meant to honor American veterans. He offered that the past can teach modern society a lot.

“I think everyone should be proud of their heritage no matter where they come from. I think we should love each other as our Lord Jesus Christ has asked us to do,” said Carter.

Cooper’s suggested plan includes repealing a state law that prevents the removal of Confederate monuments, and looking for new homes for the statues in museums and at historical sites.

The thought of removing the statues is discouraging to Carter.

He said that he and other members of the South Carolina Sons of the Confederacy will write letters to lawmakers arguing as to why the monuments should be left standing in public.

The law preventing the removal of the statues was unanimously approved by the North Carolina Senate in 2015. One of those legislators who voted for the bill was North Carolina Attorney General Josh Stein, who was in the senate at the time of the vote.