An employee at a school in Huntersville was taken to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday night.
The incident happened before 9 p.m. at the Phoenix Montessori Academy on the 12300 block of Mt. Holly-Huntersville Road. Firefighters said when they were called to the scene the carbon monoxide levels were “way above normal.”
The school was closed, but two workers were inside the building cleaning at the time. One of those workers, whose name has not yet been released, was taken to the hospital.
Firefighters credit the carbon monoxide alarms for saving the workers.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“Without them, the workers could have suffered life-threatening injuries,” firefighters said.
The cause of the elevated levels is under investigation.