A man who died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator in his N.C. mountain home is the first confirmed death in North Carolina related to Hurricane Irma., Gov. Roy Cooper said Friday.
The man lived in the unincorporated community of Edneyville in Henderson County. Edneyville is 27 miles southeast of Asheville.
Local authorities have not released the man’s name. He was using the generator to power his home after severe weather knocked out electricity in the area, Cooper said.
The governor encouraged any North Carolinian using a generators to follow all safety guidelines. “When the power goes out, generators can be a lifesaver, but used without good ventilation, generators can be deadly,” Cooper said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
Generators, gas and charcoal grills and propane stoves should always be used outdoors and away from windows, doors and vents to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. More tips are available on the N.C. Department of Health and Human Services website.
At 3:30 p.m. Friday, about 2,200 North Carolinians remained without power from Irma.
State and local emergency managers, meanwhile, continued to track Hurricane Jose in the Atlantic. While Jose is not expected to make landfall, the storm will cause dangerous surf and rip currents along the N.C. coast through the weekend and early next week, emergency officials said.
Behind Jose, two other systems are developing in the Atlantic that will bear watching over the coming week, officials said.