Police shoot, kill armed man who refused to put down gun, Union County officials say

Site of the deadly encounter between deputies, police and the armed suspect.
Site of the deadly encounter between deputies, police and the armed suspect.

Four Union County Sheriff's deputies and a Monroe police officer are on paid administrative leave following the shooting of a suspect outside a Union County store just before midnight Tuesday.

The armed man, identified as Joshua Adams Stubbs, 25, was killed following a chase with deputies just before midnight, ending at the Metro PCS on Roosevelt Boulevard in Monroe, it was reported.

The situation began when a white Pontiac Bonneville traveling near Five Points in Monroe without tail lights, according to the Union County Sheriff’s Deputy Facebook Page. A deputy initiated a traffic stop but the driver fled and a brief chase ensued.

Stubbs’ vehicle traveled down Walkup Avenue, turned left and traveled briefly on Roosevelt Boulevard before pulling into the Dairy Queen parking lot. He then exited the vehicle armed with a long gun.

“At that point, a deputy fired several rounds from his patrol car. The suspect fled on foot to the Metro PCS a short distance away. The Metro PCS was unlocked and occupied by a civilian doing tile work. The suspect entered the store where the worker was located,” the Facebook post stated.

Responding officers from the Union County Sheriff’s Office, the Monroe Police Department and Wingate Police Department set up a perimeter around the store and attempted to make contact with the suspect using a public address radio system, officials said.

“After more than 20 minutes elapsed, the suspect emerged in the front doorway with the long gun in hand. The suspect refused to obey the officers’ commands to drop the gun. Once the suspect moved into the open doorway, armed with the long gun, officers fired several rounds and the suspect fell to the ground just inside the store.”

EMS responded and the suspect was transported to Carolinas Healthcare – Union, where he was pronounced dead, officials said.

Sheriff Eddie Cathey and Monroe Police Chief Bryan Gilliard have requested the NC State Bureau of Investigation to conduct an independent investigation into the incident, which is standard protocol in officer-involved shooting situations.

WSOC reported Stubbs was also carrying a knife at the time of the shooting. He lived in Monroe with a brother, the station reported.

If you have any information, you're asked to call Crime Stoppers at 704-283-5600.