Top 10 fugitive from Charlotte caught on video crossing the Mexican border
A Charlotte man believed to be hiding in Mexico after the 2016 murder of a co-worker has been added to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s “Ten Most Wanted Fugitives” list, the FBI announced Tuesday.
The FBI is offering a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of 18-year-old Alejandro “Alex” Castillo. Officials believe Castillo killed 23-year-old Truc Quan “Sandy” Ly Le, his coworker at a Showmars restaurant north of Charlotte’s airport, during a robbery.
Castillo is Charlotte’s first-ever fugitive on the list.
Le and Castillo were reported missing in August 2016 along with another co-worker, 20-year-old Ahmia Feaster.
Officials found Le’s body in a wooded area in Cabarrus County weeks after her disappearance, while Castillo and Feaster were captured on video crossing the border into Mexico. Le’s car was found in Phoenix.
Warrants were issued for Castillo and Feaster for possession of a stolen vehicle, and Feaster was later jailed in Texas.
Castillo remains at large and should be considered armed and “extremely dangerous,” the FBI said. Officials believe he’s still in Mexico, possibly in the cities of San Francisco de los Romo or Pabellón de Arteaga in the state of Aguascalientes or in two other states – Guanajuato or Veracruz.
Officials believe the incident began as a robbery, Mecklenburg County Assistant District Attorney Anna Greene said. Le had loaned Castillo money in the past, and money was taken from her bank account after she disappeared.
Castillo’s relatives in Charlotte and Arizona have cooperated with the investigation, officials said.
Le’s family members were at the FBI’s office in Charlotte Tuesday seeking justice. Her uncle, Bobby Le, said the family isn’t angry at Castillo anymore – they just want closure.
Le said his niece came to the U.S. from Vietnam at age 12 and had just earned a degree in hospital administration from Queens University of Charlotte when she disappeared.
“She’s just a (trusting) person,” he said. “That’s the problem that I see. She trusts everybody.”
Her family didn’t know about Castillo, her uncle said. Investigators believe Castillo and Le dated briefly earlier in 2016 but weren’t in a relationship when they disappeared, Greene said.
A warrant was issued for Castillo in November 2016, after he was charged with murder, officials said. A federal warrant was also issued in February charging Castillo with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.
Billboards featuring Castillo will be on display in various locations, including North Carolina, Texas, and Mexico, officials said.
LaVendrick Smith; 704-358-5101; @LaVendrickS