The annual Boy Scouts food drive for Mecklenburg County’s low-income households is Saturday.
Scouts will go door-to-door in neighborhoods throughout Mecklenburg County collecting nonperishable food items for Loaves & Fishes. Last year’s Scouting for Food drive collected 240,000 pounds of food to help feed hungry neighbors in need.
Scouting for Food helps restock pantry shelves that were depleted during the busy holiday season.
Loaves & Fishes uses the food to provide a week’s worth of groceries through its network of 30 emergency food pantries in Mecklenburg County.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Charlotte Observer
In 2017, Loaves & Fishes fed more than 75,000 people, 48 percent of whom were children.
Priority needs include canned meat, canned fruit, canned pastas, corn muffin mix, cereal and 100 percent fruit juice.
There are multiple ways to participate in the food drive:
▪ Mecklenburg County Boy Scouts have distributed grocery bags provided by Harris Teeter in neighborhoods throughout the county. Fill the bag with nonperishable food items and leave it outside your home by 9 a.m for pickup on Saturday.
▪ Drop off food donations at any Mecklenburg County Harris Teeter Feb. 3-11. Food collection barrels will be located in all Mecklenburg County Harris Teeter stores.
▪ Drop off food donations at various Scouting for Food collection sites Saturday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., or Sunday, 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Trucks will collect food donations at various locations throughout the county. Boy Scouts will be on hand to collect donations at these locations Saturday and Sunday.
▪ Visit www.loavesandfishes.org for a complete list of collection sites.
▪ Bring donations to the Charlotte 49ers home basketball game Saturday at Halton Arena. Charlotte IMG Sports Marketing and Harris Teeter are partnering to host Harris Teeter Assists during the men’s game against Middle Tennessee. For every Charlotte 49ers assist, Harris Teeter will donate $50 to the Boy Scouts of Mecklenburg County’s Scouting for Food program, benefiting Loaves & Fishes. The Boy Scouts, volunteers from Loaves & Fishes and Harry the Dragon will be on the Halton Arena concourse collecting canned food and money before and during the game.
Scouting for Food is sponsored by Mecklenburg County Council of The Boy Scouts of America, Harris Teeter, NBC Charlotte, 103.7 WSOC-FM, and Stegall Trucking.