Shark attacks reported Friday in Avon, NC, and Hunting Island, SC

Avon Fishing Pier Webcam
Avon Fishing Pier Webcam Avon Fishing Pier Webcam

A man reportedly bitten by a shark in the town of Avon in the Outer Banks is in stable condition after undergoing surgery on Friday, according to a spokeswoman for the National Park Service.

The man’s family has asked that no information about his identity be released, Cyndy Holda, a public affairs specialist for the park service, said Saturday. But multiple sources told WBTV, the Observer’s media partner, that the man is from Charlotte.

The Friday incident occurred about one mile from the Avon Fishing Pier when the 47-year-old man was bitten around 11:41 a.m., according to a statement released by the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. He was treated for injuries to his right leg and lower back at the scene, then transported by ambulance and airflight to Norfolk General Hospital in Virginia.

The last known encounter with a shark in the National Seashore area was in 2011 on Ocracoke Island, according to the statement.

In a separate incident Friday, a man was bitten by a shark while swimming in the surf off South Carolina’s Hunting Island about 11 a.m. Friday, according to the Lady’s Island-St. Helena Fire District. The man noticed a 4-foot shark swimming around him and yelled but was then bitten by a second shark he had not seen, said district spokesman Scott Harris.

When first responders arrived, the man was on the beach with serious bleeding. He was transported by ambulance to Beaufort Memorial Hospital.

The man was vacationing in the area from Pennsylvania. He told EMS the shark appeared to be about 10 inches in diameter. His condition was not known to the fire district Friday afternoon.

Dawn Dawson-House, a spokesperson for the S.C. Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, said she did not know if the beach was closed and could not release further information.

Friday’s reported attacks follow four others earlier this month in North Carolina: one in Ocean Isle, two in Oak Island where two teenagers lost limbs and one on Wednesday in Surf City.

Observer staff writer Paige Ladisic and The Island Packet in Hilton Head contributed.