Food left cooking on a stove sparked a fire that left a family of four homeless in Gastonia on Sunday.
The fire was reported just after 1 p.m. Sunday.
When firefighters got to the one-story home on Hemlock Avenue in the northeast part of the city, they saw smoke and flames coming from two sides of the home and two windows. The fire was heaviest in the kitchen and living room, firefighters said.
Four people were inside when the fire started, but they were able to escape. One of the occupants was cut while trying to remove a personal belong from the burning home. That person was taken to Caromont Regional Medical Center with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
It took 19 firefighters about 15 minutes to put out the blaze, which caused an estimated $35,000 in damage. The Gaston County chapter of the Red Cross was helping the displaced residents.