Local

Another rainy day for Charlotte Tuesday

WBTV First Alert Weather forecast for 05.03.16

WBTV meteorologist Al Conklin with The Charlotte Observer weather forecast for May 3, 2016.
Up Next
WBTV meteorologist Al Conklin with The Charlotte Observer weather forecast for May 3, 2016.

Showers and thunderstorms are likely to continue into at least the afternoon across parts of the Charlotte region Tuesday.

The chance of continuing storms stands at 70 percent, according to the National Weather Service in Greer, S.C.

Showers and thunderstorms since Saturday have cut the region’s rainfall deficit this year, which was nearly 5 inches below normal heading into the weekend. As of Tuesday morning, total rainfall for the year stood about 3 inches below normal.

Charlotte-Douglas International Airport has seen 2.45 inches of rain from Saturday through about 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, said Patrick Moore, a meteorologist with the weather service.

“We’ve made some ground,” Moore said of the year’s deficit.

Some areas of the region have received at least 4 inches of rainfall.

Light rain continued to fall in the Charlotte metro area at 7 a.m. but it is expected to give way to mostly cloudy skies, with a high near 79.

Thunderstorm chances should diminish to 50 percent Tuesday night. Rain chances should fall to 20 percent Wednesday and 30 percent Thursday.

Mostly sunny skies are forecast for the weekend.

The weather will turn cooler, however, as a cold front moves slowly across the region Tuesday. A cooler and drier air mass will move in behind the front Wednesday, according to the weather service.

Another cold front is forecast to cross the region Wednesday night, ushering in a much cooler air mass from Canada for the end of the workweek.

Highs could drop from 74 Wednesday to 66 Thursday, but bounce back up to 74 Friday, 77 Saturday, 83 Sunday and 84 Monday.

Temperatures should rise Saturday, Sunday and Monday as a high pressure system returns.

Joe Marusak: 704-358-5067, @jmarusak

  Comments