Local

Salvation Army store reopens months after blaze that killed firefighter

Pineville volunteer firefighters Richard Sheltra died on the job April 30
Pineville volunteer firefighters Richard Sheltra died on the job April 30 Charlotte

The Pineville Salvation Army Family Store reopened Wednesday, nearly three months after it was damaged by a fire that claimed the life of a 20-year-old firefighter.

Pineville volunteer firefighter Richard Sheltra died from inhaling combustibles while battling the blaze, fire officials said.

The Family Store, at 8500 Pineville-Matthews Rd., was one of several buildings in Countryside shopping center damaged April 30 by the fire, which started when lightning struck the site. The blaze was centered in the Edwin Watts golf store.

“While we’re able to move on and open the store, our thoughts and prayers are still with the family of Richard Sheltra,” said Salvation Army Store Supervisor Kevin Brown. “We had to replace everything inside the store, but it's nothing compared to the loss of life.”

The Store has been completely cleaned, restored and restocked. It opened 10 a.m. Wednesday.

Money from sales at the Family Stores funds the work of the Salvation Army’s Adult Rehabilitation Center (ARC), a 116-bed residential treatment facility for chemically addicted men.

The ARC provides housing with work, group, and individual therapy to help the men break the chains of addiction and learn skills essential for their transition from chemical dependency to independence.

Since 1950, the local ARC has helped thousands of men overcome addiction and rediscover the value of their lives. The ARC manages and runs five Family Stores throughout Charlotte, the revenue of each going directly to the cost of maintaining the program.

To find a Family Store or drop-off location, or to schedule a pick up, visit www.satruck.org.

  Comments