Son of N.C. State coach is guilty

The son of N.C. State University basketball coach Sidney Lowe is headed to prison.

Sidney Lowe II, 23, pleaded guilty Monday to six counts each of armed robbery and kidnapping stemming from a home invasion in March 2007.

He also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit armed robbery in connection with a shooting on the campus of UNC Greensboro. Lowe entered an Alford plea on the conspiracy count, meaning he did not admit guilt but acknowledged that the evidence could convict him.

The younger Lowe's troubles erupted in Greensboro, where he attended N.C. A&T State University.

Greensboro police linked Lowe to the home invasion after finding him with about $2,000 in cash, computers and cell phones that had been taken in the holdup.

The same month, police tied Lowe and another man, Brian Patrick Martin, to the armed robbery of a UNC Greensboro freshman. Police say Lowe and Martin broke into the dorm room of freshman Stephen Cobb, 19. Cobb, a Raleigh native, was shot in the back; police charged Martin with the shooting.

Cobb was later charged with several drug-related offenses.

Guilford County Assistant District Attorney Stephen Cole told a judge that in March 2007 Lowe and others barged into the home of six UNCG students, robbing them of their cash, computers, video games and cell phones. Lowe and Martin had come to buy some marijuana, Cole said.

At the home, though, Martin and Lowe turned on the students, Cole said, and Lowe hovered over the students, holding them hostage with some sort of rifle. Lowe later told officers that he'd just taken an ecstasy pill and smoked marijuana, Cole said.

Little more than a week later, Lowe and Martin went to the dorm room of a UNCG student, shorting him during a bad faith drug deal, police said. Stephen Cobb told police he had been approached to sell pot to Lowe and Martin. At some point during the deal, Martin brandished a pistol. The two began wrestling and police said that, in the struggle, Martin shot Cobb in the back.

Lowe's family, including his father, crowded into a row of the courtroom Monday.