Charlotte firefighters evacuated about 100 people from a building on the CPCC Central Campus this afternoon after a natural gas line was ruptured nearby.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The gas line was ruptured about 2:15 p.m. on Charlottetown Avenue, between Elizabeth Avenue and 4th Street. Charlotte fire Capt. Mark Basnight said one CPCC building near the site was evacuated for precautionary reasons. No injuries have been reported.
Basnight said Charlottetown Avenue is closed between Elizabeth Avenue and 4th Street until the gas leak is controlled. The line was ruptured in an area where extensive construction is under way, as part of the Elizabeth Avenue project to prepare for the eventual construction of a trolley line.
Motorists should avoid the area until at least 3:30 p.m.