Carbon monoxide has “pretty much been ruled out” as the reason a 5-year-old Cabarrus County boy died Monday afternoon near his mother, authorities said Wednesday.
But investigators with the Cabarrus County Sheriff's Office still do not know how Phillip Alexander Lee died, Chief Deputy Paul Hunt said.
Phillip's mother, Robin Lee, 45, is in serious condition at Carolinas Medical Center – NorthEast in Concord. Authorities don't know how she was hurt, Hunt said, or what killed her son.
“We still don't know anything,” he added.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Phillip's 13-year-old brother called 911 Monday a little after 2 p.m., when he found his brother and mother unresponsive at their home near Mount Pleasant. Hunt declined to release the teen's name.
In the six-minute 911 call, Phillip's brother said he had just awakened. He said he had been sick recently and was having trouble standing up and walking. He told the dispatcher he did not see what happened.
“I just got up, walked in and they were dead,” the teen said. “Let me check if my mom has a pulse. How come my mom doesn't have a pulse? She's breathing.”
The dispatcher told the teen how to check on his mother's breathing and also to start mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. The teen was doing that when the paramedics arrived.
Hunt said there was no indication of foul play, but also said that nothing has been ruled out.
Investigators want to talk to Robin Lee but have not done so yet. Lee and her two sons were the only ones who lived at the home, according to Hunt.
He said the teen is now staying with a friend of the family.