In Tribute |

U.S. troops who have died in Afghanistan and Iraq.

EDITOR'S NOTE: These tributes, published in alphabetical order, were supplied by The Associated Press.

Army Sgt. 1st Class David Todd Jr.

David Todd Jr. had worn Army colors since he was a boy, when his mother bought him fatigues at an Army surplus store. His father, David Todd Sr., served with the Air Force in Vietnam. His mother said that over time, Todd believed in sacrificing to make life better for others.

“It's better to let 10 soldiers die than 1,000 innocent people,” Todd would tell his teenage son, according to his mother, Mary.

Todd, 36, of Marrero, La., was killed Aug. 22 in Bala Murghab, Afghanistan, by small-arms fire. He was assigned to Herat, Afghanistan, and had served in Kuwait during Desert Storm.

Marine Lance Cpl. Jacob Toves

Lance Padilla, Jacob Toves' childhood friend, saw Toves the day before he left for basic training, and said his friend believed in what he was going to do as a soldier.

“I definitely think he felt he was doing a good thing,” Padilla said.

Toves, 27, a combat engineer from Grover Beach, Calif., was killed Aug. 14 in Afghanistan's Helmand province. He was assigned to Okinawa, Japan.

Marine Cpl. Stewart Trejo

It was Stewart Trejo's grandfather's military service that inspired Trejo to enlist in the Marines. “Stewart always wanted to make his grandpa proud of him,” said his grandmother, Connie Stewart.

Trejo, 25, of Whitefish, Mont., was killed Aug. 7 while supporting combat operations in Iraq's Anbar province. He was assigned to Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Army Sgt. Jose Ulloa

Last year, while preparing to deploy to Iraq, Jose Ulloa had a lengthy conversation with Chief Warrant Officer Anthony Hampton about his life goals.

“He said, ‘Sir, I want to be an NCO so I can take care of and lead soldiers,'” Hampton said. “Little did he know that he already modeled the character and the qualities of an NCO. Five months later, he reached his goal.”

Ulloa, 23, of New York, was killed Aug. 9 in Sadr City, Iraq, when his vehicle struck a roadside bomb. He was assigned to Mannheim, Germany.